Omaha firefighters were able to make quick work of a fire inside a house near 24th and Ellison Friday morning.

Battalion Chief Mike Pritchard says a passerby saw the smoke and called 911 around 9:30.  When firefighters arrived,  there was smoke coming from the roof an attic area.

Pritchard says they were able to put the fire out in about ten minutes.  The fire was contained to the attic area, but the house also sustained smoke and water damage.

The three adults and two children were not home at the time.  Firefighters were able to rescue the family's three dogs.  The American Red Cross is assisting the family with living arrangements.

Investigators say items placed too closed to a space heater sparked the fire.